Saturday, December 13, 2014

Finally, Montana

First a quick update on my brother-in-law, Larry. He ate some spaghetti and had some protein drinks yesterday. Food has no taste for him and he has no appetite, but the doctors want him to eat a little every two hours. He said he knew the spaghetti was good because Kathi made it for him. Andrea is relentless getting him to eat and keeping his spirits up. He is very weak following seven days of chemo to rid him of leukemia and is now in a twenty one day recovery period, after which the doctors will evaluate his condition to determine what’s next. I will take Kathi to the Methodist Hospital to visit him this afternoon, along with homemade chicken noodle soup, yogurt and energy drinks.


After I retired the end of June 2003, I told everyone I was going to Montana. Well it took a while, but we finally got to Montana May 24th, 2004. Why did it take so long to get there? I was hesitant to buy a motorhome, so I was stalling. We took a car trip to the Grand Canyon in July 2003. I will discuss that trip in a later post, but it did make it clear to us that we did not want to travel in our car and stay in motels, so when we got back home we bought our Alfa motorhome.

The day we bought the motorhome was the first time I had ever driven one, as a matter of fact I had never even driven a van. We drove it home and I held my breath most of the way -- the lanes looked so much narrower driving the big RV. We parked in the driveway of our home in Deer Park, Texas and loaded everything we were going to travel with into the RV. We sold the house as-is, including kitchen appliances and big screen TV and we moved all the way to Baytown fifteen miles away from our sold house. We stayed in Baytown for two weeks while we bought towing equipment for our car and had it installed.

After two weeks in Baytown, I got brave and we drove ninety miles north on Highway 146 to the Escapees Rainbow’s End RV Park in Livingston, Texas. My sister and her husband had been RV traveling and clued us in to the Escapees RV Club and their mail service. We joined up to take advantage of their mail service for RV travelers and visited their post office while we were in Livingston. The Escapees Club has its own zip code in Livingston and that zip code has more people than actually live in Livingston.

We spent the rest of 2003 and the first half of 2004 moving between California and Texas. Our oldest was living in San Francisco and the youngest was in the Marine Corps and stationed at 29 Palms. We made a lot of short stopovers in between Texas and California with long stays near our sons and back in Texas for our annual doctor visits.

My posts last month in November and earlier in December describe our trip from Texas along the gulf coast to Florida, then the loop back west to South Dakota. We left Black Hawk, South Dakota and finally arrived at Hardin, Montana on May 24, 2004. I do not know if it was my imagination or if it was real, but the sky seemed bigger in “Big Sky” country. It was cold and windy in South Dakota when we left and still cold when we got to Montana. We left I-90 and got on U. S. 212 with almost no traffic. The scenery was all we expected and we were excited to be there. There were lots of mountains and a multitude of evergreen trees and the really big sky. What a life. At this point it was still like a dream to us. No matter how far we traveled we woke up each morning in our own bed and we were home.


  1. I remember when you first retired and got the motor home. I was so excited for you. I still get that way when you get back on the road after a long stay in one place.