Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Almost Heaven

On Thursday, November 11, 2004 we left the Emerald Lake RV Park in Jarrell, Texas and moved to the Almost Heaven RV Park in Manvel, TX. It was a pleasant drive with no unusual occurrences. We stayed on country roads as much as possible, but I do not recall exactly which route we took for this trip. Total trip about 220 miles and around four hours in time. At this point in our travels we seldom stopped for lunch and mostly relied on peanuts and soft drinks for sustenance at lunchtime.

There were no vacancies at the RV Park in Dickinson, so we moved to Manvel, because this is where my sister, Carol and her husband Lloyd were staying. It was raining when we got there and there were a lot of mud holes in the park. The roads were a little rough for us, but we were going to be there for a while. We went over to visit with Carol and Lloyd right after our arrival and before transitioning the motorhome from travel mode to living mode. We enjoyed the visit and all of us were glad to be near home for the holidays.

The next day we took Kathi’s mother and step-father, Jim to lunch. It was fun and nice to catch up. Kathi is the only girl and she and her mother had a special relationship. In the afternoon, Carol and Kathi walked around the lake at the RV Park. Three trips around seemed to be enough to quell their need for exercise. Carol walks on a daily basis and is still near her high school weight. Kathi is an occasional walker.

A lot of people at the RV Park were staying there while undergoing outpatient treatment at the Medical Center in Houston. Manvel is about 10 miles south of the Medical Center on TX 288. It took us about 30 minutes to get to Deer Park and La Porte using 288 and Beltway 8.

We had a Mexican food lunch with Carol and Lloyd on Saturday. I think we ate at Gringo’s in Pearland, but I do not remember for sure. Lloyd will tell me when he reads this post, since he remembers everything. I do remember the food was good, but we like Tex-Mex. Mexican food is not the same anywhere else, but Texas.

On Sunday the 14th we went to visit my cousin, Lloyd Bowden at MD Anderson. He and his wife Shirley were very gracious and it was nice to see them. Lloyd looked more and more like his dad as he got older. Lloyd had a very fast acting kidney and bone cancer and only lived about a month longer. He was one of my role-models as I grew up. His dad, my Uncle Elbert was the best man I have ever known. Cousin Lloyd was a retired pastor and content with letting God make the decision about his future.

We stayed at Almost Heaven for three weeks before moving to our preferred location at Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX.

My Cousin Lloyd Bowden when he was about 25 years old.

My uncle Elbert Bowden

No comments:

Post a Comment