Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Current Events August 18, 2015

Today I am taking a break from our 2005 travel year to let everyone know what is going on with our family at this time. I will continue our 2005 adventures in my next post.

Kathi and I are doing fine. We are still staying at the Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, Texas. August in Texas has been hot as advertised, but we manage to stay cool in our motorhome in the daytime, thanks to the EdgeStar 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner we purchased several years ago to supplement the dual compressor basement air conditioner in our Alfa motorhome. We normally only have to use the portable in summer months. It also has a dehumidifier setting that is good for the Texas Gulf Coast weather.

The last few days we had some cooler temperatures with the temperature staying below 90 degrees. That is still hot for us, but better. We are used to spending our summers in a casino parking lot on the Oregon Coast where summer temperatures are in the mid sixties. As most of you know, we are staying in Texas this year to take care of our family.

My brother in law, Larry Clark has acute myeloid leukemia. He had three rounds of chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant and is now in the recovery stage. All his original bone marrow was destroyed and the new bone marrow is now producing his blood. Among the many medications he takes to supplement his immune system while he has no natural immunity, he is taking a medication to control the rate the new blood is created. This slow down process is to allow his body to adjust to the new blood without rejecting it.

He spent the last month in the hospital to get extra fluids to combat a BK Virus that was causing kidney problems. He came home on Friday of last week, but now has a blood pressure problem. He has spent so much time confined to his bed that his blood pressure drops when he stands, causing dizziness.

Kathi and I are staying with him until he regains the ability to walk without the dizziness. We also take him to the Methodist Hospital Transplant Clinic twice per week to get blood tests and necessary infusions. Each day at home we give him infusions of magnesium diluted in a saline solution. The mixture comes in pressurized balls the size of a soft ball.

Larry's wife, Andrea is working every day while we are staying with Larry at home. When he is in the hospital, Andrea usually works half a day in the office and brought a computer to allow her to work at the hospital in the afternoons. Larry insists that no one stay with him at night in the hospital. We are all really glad he is at home and recuperating.

No comments:

Post a Comment