Monday, March 28, 2016

Day after Easter

Today is a post in real time to let everyone know about current events in Kathi and my life.

I trust all my readers had a great Easter weekend. It is good that Christians get an opportunity to refresh their memories about the basis of their beliefs. In this country, Easter is normally a time of peace and reverence. Good choices.

I got a speeding ticket in Pasadena, TX about a month ago. There was a motorcycle officer on Fairmont Parkway doing a booming business. He had just finished issuing a ticket to another driver and was pulling his motorcycle back onto the Parkway to get set up again. I changed lanes just as I got to the driveway he was trying to exit and did not see him until he had to brake hard to keep from running into my Jeep. I knew I was in trouble and I should have seen him sooner and avoided the ticket, but I did not. He followed me a block or so and pulled me over for speeding and I probably was. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and I did not and told him that. He gave me a ticket for going 10 miles over the speed limit and I could not deny it.

Today at 1:00 pm was my court date and time. I paid the ticket by mail last week. I also included an extra $20 for deferred disposition. When I called this morning to assure they received my fine payment, they had no record of it. I decided the best option was to drive over to the court and get a reset, which I could do without seeing the judge, but I had to see the court clerk in person. There were about 25 people in line ahead of me and waiting was boring, but I waited. Getting the reset was easy and no questions asked. They gave me an extra month before I have to appear in court and I am really hoping they get their mail opened by then.

Now for a quick update on my brother-in-law, Larry Clark. Kathi and I went over and spent a couple of hours with he and his wife Andrea on Saturday afternoon. They were sitting on the patio and enjoying the fresh air. We had a nice time and some good conversation and we left them there airing out.

Sunday morning, Andrea called and Larry has passed blood in his urine overnight. Kathi and I headed back to their house while Andrea contacted his bone marrow transplant team for instructions. We were instructed to take him to the Methodist Hospital emergency room.

When we got to their house, Larry was very weak and running a little temperature. He managed to use his walker to get to the car, but we realized he would need a wheelchair when we got to the hospital. They checked him into the ER and checked his vital signs. It took a few hours to find him a room on the Cell and Gene Transplant Unit on the 8th floor, but we finally got him checked in and comfortable there. Andrea planned to spend the night in his room, so Kathi and I returned home. We stopped by the grocery store on the way home so Kathi could pick up some groceries she could cook and take to them today.

Larry looked better today and he sounded like he felt good. He had pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy and asparagus for lunch and has some chicken for later. Another great day.

1 comment:

  1. What a Super team you and Kathi are! I cannot overstate the love I have for you both. Interestingly, I calculated that we've been Pals for some 20+ years, and while we have not been recently proximal, my admiration for you does not wane. Luv U Guys.