Monday, June 20, 2016

A Few Days in October

Events in this post took place in October 2006.

On Wednesday, October 18, 2006, I took Kathi for an ultrasound of her kidney. It was hot and humid early that day and we wanted to be home in the air conditioning, but since we were already out we had lunch at Gringo’s. Kathi had cheese enchiladas and I had beef quesadillas. Tex-Mex is almost always good in Texas and Gringo’s was no exception. We spent the rest of the day at home reading.

We woke up Thursday to beautiful weather. It had gotten cooler during the night. It felt so good out, we decided to take our laundry to the laundromat and get that out of the way. After laundry we went to Olive Garden for lunch. Kathi usually had toast in the morning and I had Raisin Bran cereal. Lunch was our heavy meal and we usually ate snacks or something light instead of dinner. I had spaghetti with meatballs and the meatballs were rolled so tight, they were hard to penetrate with my fork. I had to cut them with my knife. The flavor was normal and lunch was enjoyable, but I would like to see the cook that made the meatballs. He must have been a powerful man – I figured ladies would be more genteel with my lunch.

Friday we had lunch with Jim and Ginny Hathaway, Kathi’s mother and step-father. We ate at Red Lobster again, since it is always a favorite for Ginny. We spent the rest of the afternoon visiting with them at their home in La Porte. Kathi’s brother Larry Clark and his wife, Andrea joined us for a great afternoon. We mostly got to listen to the ladies talk. Good conversations to listen to, but hard to get a word in sometime.
Ginny and Jim Hathaway
 We did manage to find out that Larry was a little frustrated, because his new heart meds kept his heart rate too low, making him lethargic. We were hoping his medications could be adjusted to get him feeling normal again. All-in-all, it was a fun, stimulating afternoon.

Larry Clark, Kathi Boozer, Virginia Hathaway and Carl Clark. Kathi's mother and her three children.

Andrea Clark

Saturday, October 20th the humidity was back. We got a call from my sister, Carol Jackson to let us know her husband, Lloyd was in the hospital. They were in East Texas and they were bringing him by ambulance to St. Luke’s in the Medical Center in Houston. We knew he would get good care there.

Lloyd and Carol Jackson with Kathi in Oregon
Sunday was cooler with intermittent rain showers and our plan was to spend the day at home in the RV. Kathi talked to Carol and they were pumping out Lloyd’s stomach. Other than being very hungry, he was feeling better. The doctors were still testing and looking to determine how to solve the problem.

Life was good. We, along with all our friends were getting older. We mostly took care of ourselves and other than needing to lose a few pounds we felt healthy and ready to continue RV traveling as long as we could walk and maybe even longer. A few medical issues to shake off and we would hit the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment