Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Travel Recap and Larry Update

This blog relates the travel adventures of Kathi and Arlon Boozer. We bought our Alfa motorhome just after I retired from Shell Chemical Company in Deer Park, TX effective June 1, 2003. Since that time we have traveled all over the United States. We have made 526 trips, stayed in 283 distinct locations and visited 32 states.

The least expensive places we have stayed were free since we were boon docking. The longest we have boon docked in one location is around three months at the Chinook Winds Casino in Lincoln City, OR. We have boon docked in Walmart stores, BLM lands, casino parking lots and state parks. We have been asked to leave locations where we were boon docking on four different occasions.

The most expensive place we have stayed is the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica, CA at $331 a week during the off season. Much of the year that park charges $75 per day. When we visited our son in San Francisco, we normally stayed about 40 miles outside the city in a Redwood City RV park that was more reasonably priced.

We have been in more locations in Texas than any other state. We have spent about a year on Lake Georgetown in the Jim Hogg and Cedar Breaks Parks. We stay there for half price with our Golden Age Passports. We have spent more time in the Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX than any other location. It is like being on home ground with easy access to Pasadena, Deer Park and La Porte. This trip we have been at Green Caye for about a year and one half.
A view across Lake Georgetown from Cedar Breaks Park

A view of Jim Hogg Park from Cedar Breaks Park

A boat on the lake
Green Caye Golf Clubhouse

A view inside Green Caye RV Park

Alfa at Green Caye

Kathi and I are here supporting her brother Larry Clark and his wife Andrea as Larry recovers from acute myeloid leukemia. We will be here until Larry can function on his own again.
Larry at home eating watermelon a few weeks ago. He is cold all the time.

Larry had chemotherapy in December 2014 and a bone marrow transplant about this time last year. Since then he has had a urinary tract infection, pneumonia, a stomach infection, two upper respiratory infections and a MRSA infection on three separate occasions. He has been in the hospital this time for about a month. Right now he is suffering from poor kidney function and is undergoing dialysis and had his pacemaker removed last week, just in case it was the cause of the recurring MRSA infection. He is also having a problem getting enough oxygen in his blood stream. He has been in bed in a reclining position so long that when he sits up his blood pressure drops. They are doing dialysis on him today and will do that again for the next two days to remove the toxins from his body.

Andrea having fun with Larry yesterday
By the weekend they will have a physical therapist working with him again to get him adjusted to sitting up and then standing up without the blood pressure drop. Then he will have to learn to stand up on his own, then learn to walk again using a walker for support.

There have been a lot of setbacks and of course Larry has bouts of depression – who would not under the circumstances. The doctors and the family are all optimistic that Larry is going to lead a normal life again. Like everything else, it just takes hard work and a lot of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment