Friday, September 9, 2016

Biding Our Time in Missoula

Events in the post occurred in July 2007.

It was Friday the 13th and Kathi felt lucky. We were staying at Jellystone RV Park in Missoula, MT and had about 10 days to fill with adventure before our appointment date at Bretz RV. There were tiny casinos all over town and guess where Kathi wanted to take advantage of her luck. It was hot outside, but cool inside the casino and right off, Kathi hit four deuces on a video poker machine. We took some of the winnings to pay for lunch at Cracker Barrel.

When we were driving back to our motorhome we saw a lot of emergency vehicles moving on the roadways and we looked the direction they were going and saw a fire blazing on a mountainside. It was really dry and hot and ideal conditions for forest fires. We went home and kept a watch for a few hours and the smoke disappeared, so we assumed the fire was under control. We tried local radio, but never heard the fire mentioned.

Saturday we took a drive around town and found a Walmart store. We shopped for a few things we had to have and returned home because it was too hot to be comfortable outside. Even the locals were complaining about the heat, so we assumed it was unusually hot.

We stayed home on Sunday, out of the heat and the electricity went out in the afternoon. I went outside and met a few other RV owners that were out like me trying to determine the cause of the power failure. We all decide to disconnect from electric and run our generators. While we were outside, Kathi noticed the bugs on the front of the motorhome and decided it was time for a frontal wash. By the time I got a hose hooked up and brushes, soap, black tar remover and buckets out, I was drenched in sweat. Kathi and I got the front of the RV looking like new again, then put cleaning equipment away and went in for a shower. I came to Montana for the cool mountain air and this was not what I had in mind. I went out to check if the electricity was back on and noticed others had shut off their generators. Electricity was off less than two hours, but our generator kept us cool inside.

Monday, July 16, 2007, we took a drive around to look at some larger homes in the area. Yards were landscaped and we saw some pretty summer flowers blooming. It did not take long to see all the large homes, since there were not many. This appeared to be mostly a middle class working town. We had Johnny Carinos for lunch. We like Italian food. I had lasagna and Kathi had a chef salad, both of which suited our taste very well.

The next day was overcast and cooler. We took advantage and did some grocery shopping in the morning, then returned home and spent most of the afternoon reading. Kathi finally got bored with that and decided it was casino time again. We spent late afternoon and early evening in the casino. I had a few beers and Kathi had a couple glasses of wine while we played. We went home with almost the same amount of money we started with, so we felt we had about three hours of free entertainment. What a great life. Even with the heat, we were having fun in the Montana mountains.

Mountain Lake in Montana


  1. Hey, not bad. Breaking even and having a couple of days of fun at a casino sounds good. The scenery looks great too

    1. Thanks for reading my travel adventures, AJ. We had a lot of fun in Montana.