Friday, September 2, 2016

Inspection and Dinner

This post is in current time. Events occurred August 31st and September 1st of 2016.

Since Kathi and I have been parked at the green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX the last two years I have not been very diligent about keeping up with our RV repairs, inspection and registration requirements. When they started talking about hurricanes in Florida it was a stark reminder that we often have storms in this area at the end of the year and our RV was not street legal. I decided I would perform a little maintenance and close everything up so I could drive the RV down for a Texas state inspection.

I had taken our air conditioner vent cover off a few weeks ago to wash the grass off the condenser exchanger. Replacing the cover required laying on the ground, so I took a short cut and just put it back together using the top screws. That was good enough for parking, but not good enough for driving.

I went out Wednesday morning to secure the vent cover so I could go see my local vehicle inspector. After half an hour in the Texas sunshine and screws that would not line up, sweat in my eyes and laying on my back stretching over my head to reinstall the screws, I was exhausted. Kathi came out to bring me a glass of water and suggested I postpone the work until it got cooler. She did not have to ask twice.

Kathi decided to help me later in the afternoon after the sun went down and I had the vent cover back in place in about an hour. It still was not fun and I still had trouble getting up off the ground, but Kathi kept me calm enough not to break anything. She decided that was enough work for one day and assured me we could finish the rest of necessary travel preparations on Thursday morning.

It has been about six months since we have moved the motorhome and that was to buy new tires. The tires still look new – they only have about 20 miles wear so far. We will add more mileage before the end of the year. Anyway, it had been so long since we moved, we had to give each other a refresher on what had to be done. It sounds like it should be obvious, but there are a lot of steps to remember.

We got all the awnings in and utilities unhooked by mid-morning. We had a lot of things to stow away, since we have been lax returning things to their secure travel positions. We finally got it all done and got the inspection done before noon. Then, I did our registration on-line.

Olive Garden in Pasadena
Kathi and I had a dinner engagement with her sister Becky Boyd and sister-in-law, Andrea Clark. I was still tired when I took my shower around four pm. On the way to Olive Garden, I noticed the thermometer on our Jeep said 101 degrees. No wonder I was cranky -- but Kathi managed me with her usual aplomb. Dinner was excellent. Becky and Andrea had Portobello ravioli, Kathi had cheese ravioli and I had sausage stuffed rigatoni. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal. Our conversation ranged from happy to sad and back again. We are all still adjusting to not having Larry with us. It will take some time.

Becky in 2010
Andrea in 2010


  1. I thought it was great you had dinner with Becky and Andrea. I don't like it when you and Mom are out in this heat and humidity, especially for an hour or more and doing hard work on the motor home.

  2. Thanks for reading and making a comment, AJ. Love you. Dad