Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Waiting on MBA

Events in this post occurred in July 2007.

July 25, 2007 was a hot Wednesday at Bretz RV in Missoula, MT. We talked to the service people at 8:00 am and they told us the maintenance items could take as long as two weeks to complete. They were paying our rent and allowing us to live in their parking lot, so Kathi and I decided to be patient. We sat inside the RV most of the day watching out the windows. There was a lot of activity, but not with our motorhome – we assumed we were waiting on parts. We found out later in the day they were awaiting approval from MBA, the RV warranty insurance company before they could start the work.

We got out on Thursday and had a fun afternoon at the Blue Canyon Casino. It was cool inside and smoke free, both of which were welcome attributes for us. There was a restaurant attached to the casino and we had a late lunch there. We spent Friday watching RVs moving in the parking lot. It seemed there was never a time when an RV was not moving. It was really crowded everywhere at the dealership, but they managed to keep things moving. They had a forklift driver that moved the fifth wheel RVs and he was excellent. He came within inches of hitting another vehicle every time he moved one of them, but he never had a mishap.

We spent Saturday and Sunday at home. Maintenance was working on Saturday, but not on our motorhome. We needed to dump our tanks, but I decided to wait until Sunday when the Bretz shop was closed. The dump station was at the other end of the parking lot where we were parked and I wanted to wait until late in the afternoon to empty the tanks. That turned out to be an error.

Starting about two pm, small trailers started lining up at the dump station. There were as many as six in line most of the late afternoon. We closed up our motorhome and unhooked the utilities and waited for a gap in dump station traffic. We cringed and held our breath when the big slide was coming in, because we knew the motor was bad and could fail completely every time we used it. We were lucky, it worked. We finally got a chance at the dump station just before dark. We were amazed at how many locals had trailers they used for camping on the weekends. Kathi will never admit to being a camper – she insists she lives in a motorhome and does not camp.

Still no word from MBA on Monday morning. The maintenance writer was sure he would get a response on Tuesday. We found another small casino to while away the afternoon and had a nice lunch at Johnny Carino’s

We got great news from MBA on Tuesday, July 31st. Insurance would cover everything but about $200 for the slide motor. We rejoiced with lunch at Cracker Barrel. I had the bacon cheeseburger and Kathi had rainbow trout. I enjoyed my lunch better than she did and I had almost half a burger to take home with me. We spent the rest of the afternoon at home and anxious for the maintenance work to actually start a week after our arrival at Bretz. That scheduling seemed normal to Bretz and like I said earlier, Kathi and I were being patient but being patient was driving me crazy. I wanted to move.

I am not sure where this picture was taken, but it does remind me of the big skies in Montana.


  1. I remember when you guys went through all that with the motor home. You were stopped there for a long time.

  2. We were. I am looking forward to the next blog entry to see if we escaped Missoula.